Tuesday, January 28, 2014

My Favorite Makeup Brushes!

So I've tried a lot of makeup brushes over the years and these are the best yet! I change up my makeup all the time but I never feel the need to change up my brushes. The MAC ones are the only ones on the pricier side but everything else is very affordable :)

FACE BRUSHES

I use pretty much just Real Techniques, MAC, and ELF brushes on my face.


FOUNDATION (top to bottom):
1. ELF Powder Brush ($3): A flat top brush that I use for liquid foundation. I usually use this to get a more natural coverage out of my foundation.
2. Real Techniques Expert Face Brush ($9): I also use this for liquid foundation but this gives me more of a flawless finish vs. a natural look.
3. Real Techniques Buffing Brush (I believe this is only sold in the Core Collection which retails for $18 but includes 3 other brushes): I have always thought that powder foundation never worked for me but now I've realized that I've been using the wrong brushes. This one is perfect! I use it with the Hello Flawless powder by Benefit.


POWDER/CHEEKS (top to bottom):
1. Real Techniques Blush Brush ($9): I use this for setting my foundation with powder. I like it because it's tapered so it can get into all of the crevices of my face. (sounds weird, but it works)
2. MAC 109 Small Contour Brush ($35): This is perfect for contouring the cheeks. This one is a little on the pricier side so a more affordable option would be the Real Techniques Contour Brush which is sold in the same kit along with the Buffing Brush.
3. MAC 129 Powder/Blush Brush ($35): This size and shape is perfect for adding a touch of blush to the apples of your cheeks.  You could alternatively use the Sonia Kashuk Small Powder/Blusher Brush ($8.99)


ELF Stipple Brush ($3): Side note-this brush isn't that special that it go it's own picture I just ran out of space. Lol. But anyway, I use this to sweep away any eyeshadow fallout.


Real Techniques Domed Shadow Brush (only sold in the Starter Set which retails for $18): I forgot to put this in the big photo. Lol. But this is amazing for concealer! This is the only brush I use for concealer because it blends it out perfectly.

EYE BRUSHES:

I have a slightly more eclectic collection of eye brushes with various brands.


FLAT SHADER/BASE SHADOW:
1. This one is from My Glam/IPSY. I got it in a monthly subscription so I'm not sure where else to get it. But this is perfect for putting highlight under my brow bone. It's different from other flat-shader brushes because it's much smaller.
2. Up & Up (Target brand) flat shader brush (somewhere between $3 and $5 not sure because I bought this like 5 years ago): I use this to deepen my crease colors. You can also use this for highlighting under the brow.
3. Real Techniques Base-Shadow Brush (also sold in the Starter Set): I love laying down shadow all over my lid with this.


BLENDING BRUSHES:
1. MAC 217 Blending Brush ($24): I know I put two of them in there but it's because they're perfect. I'm obsessed with them. For all of the other high-end brushes I have an alternative but these cannot be replaced in my eyes. Sounds pretty dramatic but I use these every single time I use eyeshadow. You can lay down eyeshadow, deepen the crease, or blend out a smokey eye. If I could only have one eyeshadow brush, it would be this one.
2. My Glam/Ipsy Blending Brush: Sorry for putting another one of these brushes in here but I really use it all the time. It's hugeeee and fluffy so it softens up a smokey eye very easily. If you can't find this one, try the Sonia Kashuk Blending Brush ($3.99)


BROWS/LINER:
1. MAC 266 Small Angle Brush ($20): I use this for filling in my eyebrows which give them a very natural look. You can also use it for gel/powder eyeliner.
2. Sigma E30 Pencil Brush ($12): Perfect for highlighting the inner corner of your eyes or smudging out eyeliner.
3. ULTA Pro Eye Smudger Brush ($10):  I use this to add eyeshadow to my lower lash line and to smudge out eyeliner as well.

I hope this was at least a little bit helpful to you if you're in the market for some new brushes. Good tools can make even bad makeup look decent :) 

Thanks for reading! :)
-Ashley









No comments:

Post a Comment