Tuesday, October 22, 2013

My Top 10 Fall Lip Colors

Even though it doesn't feel much like fall in Southern California, I still wanted to get into the spirit! Here are 10 lip colors that I love for this time of year:


I have chosen a good variety of both high-end and drugstore products and a also variety of shades so hopefully there's something for everyone! :)

NUDE SHADES



From left to right: Makeup Forever Aqua Lip pencil in 3C, L'oreal Colour Riche lipstick in 800 Fairest Nude, NARS lipstick in Honolulu Honey. and Benefit Ultra Shines lip gloss in Life On The A list.
  • Aqua Lip: Perfect my-lips-but-better type of color though it's more drying because it's a pencil so I prefer to put it on after I've applied lip balm.
  • Fairest Nude: Classic pinky-nude and perfect for everyday wear.
  • Honolulu Honey: A good skin-color type of nude. I like to pat this onto my lips and then blend with my fingers so that it's not so intense.
  • Benefit lip gloss: Can be paired with any of these colors or worn on it's own. The formula is nice (not too sticky but stays on well) but the applicator is weird so it sometimes can come off a bit gloopy. (is that a word?) I just apply some to my lips and blend it with my fingers as well.
PLUM SHADES


From left to right: Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain (could they have made that name any longer?) in 005 Crush, Revlon Lip Butter in 085 Sugar Plum, and Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in 473 Mauvy Night. Side-note: I didn't realize they were all Revlon products until now, like right this second as I was typing all the names. Haha. Well, apparently I really enjoy Revlon lip products :) 
  • JBKBS (yup, I just made that an acronym): I love the formula of this and I have so many colors. They last forever and my favorite thing about them is that even when they do eventually fade they don't look patchy at all and it just becomes a lighter version of itself.
  • Sugar Plum: Love this because it's moisturizing like a lip balm and shiny like a gloss so it's a good quick fix. Though the color is sheer it's still visible on your lips and it's the perfect in-between level of intensity. 
  • Mauvy Night: Probably my favorite out of all of them. It's a delicious mauvy-plum color and it's perfect if you want a more "vampy" style of lip without looking over-done. 
RED SHADES


From left to right: Maybelline Color Sensational lipstick in 615 Summer Sunset, MAC matte lipstick in Charmed I'm Sure (from the Marilyn Monroe collection), and L'oreal Colour Caresse Wet Shine Stain (another long name) in 190 Endless Red.
  • Summer Sunset: If you're new to red lipstick then this is a great color to start with. It's a lot more subtle than most reds. I consider it to be like a really deep neutral color. 
  • Charmed I'm Sure: My deepest apologies for throwing in a limited edition color. But I love this because it's the perfect deep red with a slightly berry undertone. And it's super matte! Plus, if you'd like to tone it down, apply it and then blend with your fingers. They no longer sell it at MAC but I've seen it on eBay and other sites online. If you know of any good dupes for this shade, please let me know!
  • Endless Red: This is such a great formula. Very similar to the YSL glossy-stains but like 1/4 of the price. (Also, L'oreal is within the same company as YSL so the formula is probably actually almost the same)  It's like the pigmentation of a lipstick in lip gloss form and once it sets it has quite the staining effect. (like this swatch is still partially on my hand even after washing it off) The color is also build-able so if you're not satisfied after the first layer, let it dry and then add some more!




So that's everything! I will probably be rotating through all of these colors for the rest of the season. I am absolutely loving them. Some are newer to me than others but some of them I've been using for years. I always say that if something works, I might as well stick to it. Most of these shades are pretty universally flattering too! Also, if I didn't write an extra tip on how I apply it, that means I just apply it straight from the applicator/tube to my lips and don't do anything special to it. Hope this was helpful and if you'd like to tell me your favorite fall lip colors, please feel free! I'm always on the hunt for new things :)

Thanks for putting up with me <3
-Ashley

4 comments:

  1. Ashley! I am sooo happy you've decided to try and pursue a career in makeup! :) Makeup is definitely something we share a love for. Also, I'm very excited to keep up with your blog. Haha excuse my randomness here, but I'm really happy for you! Being a makeup artist is something I've always thought would be so much fun.

    PS. I love Mauvy Night! It's something I've been wearing almost everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thank you so much Kaela! I definitely appreciate your support! And we should go shopping for makeup sometime! And we could discuss...you know... Hahaha :)

      Delete
    2. Oh no don't even say it.

      But yes I'd love to go makeup shopping! I feel like I pretty much go once a week anyway.

      Delete
    3. Lol literally same. I should probably slow down or save money or something, but there are so many pretty things out there. Haha.

      Delete